Some rules are not meant to be broken! These important rules will keep you in line with dating etiquette and ensure you have the best chance of success when meeting someone for the first time.
Do: Be on time – the last thing you want is to keep your dinner date waiting!
Do: Make your dinner date feel comfortable. Everybody gets a bit nervous about dates so by being relaxed and calm, the date will be more comfortable and enjoyable for all involved.
Do: Try to keep the conversation alive. Avoid questions with yes or no answers. Some introductory questions might include finding out more about their work and leisure life. From here, you should be able to explore different topics, based off what your date has said. Some basic questions might include:
- What do you like to do during your free time?
- What field do you work in? What are the enjoyable aspects of it?
- What kind of music do you like? Do you enjoy films or television?
- Do you watch sport? Or are you more interested in cultural activities?
- What was the last event you went to?
If the conversation is going nowhere, try and spark it up. Asking some hypothetical questions can be a fun way to learn more about your date. If you have made a connection with the other person, you might be able to ask some deeper or more specific questions. Some ideas include:
- When did you last travel? Where did you go? Where would you like to go next?
- Do you have any siblings? Do you spend much time with family and friends?
- How do you spend time with friends (e.g. go out for coffee or dinner)?
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
- If you could live anywhere else in the world, where would you choose?
- If you weren’t working in your current job, where would you see yourself?
Do: Remember that first impressions are important. Dress comfortably but appropriately for a date – smart casual with impeccable grooming should always be the standard
Don’t lie. This only reflects poorly on your character and demonstrates insecurity.
Don’t be too critical or fussy about the food you order. Try to keep the atmosphere pleasant, positive and relaxed.
Don’t dwell on past relationships, try and keep all conversations positive and looking forward not backwards, discussing previous partners or relationships.